Thursday, October 6, 2011

Love and Anger Sittin' in a Tree


Sometimes I feel like I'm so in love that I could change the whole world. In love with the potential of human beings. In love with the resilience of communities. In love with the forgiveness of friends. In love with the generosity of strangers. In love with life really, and all of the beauty that exists in our world, and especially the beauty that exists in people. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm so angry that I could change the whole world. Angry at the bigotry that poisons too many human beings. Angry at the desperate greed that has destroyed too many communities. Angry at the hypocrisy of our politicians. Angry at the general disregard for all of our well-being. Angry at life really, and all of the injustice that exists in our world, and especially the unjust nature of those controlling it. 

Love and Anger. Anger and Love. A combination much more powerful than even chocolate and peanut butter. As I watch this city (and country) slowly but surely continue to swell in peaceful and necessary revolt (thank you, Occupy Wall Street), I see how critical both emotions are to creating dramatic and lasting change. I see that, even though I try to be all about love, a healthy dose of anger, supported by love and compassion, just may be the perfect antidote to corporate greed and political irresponsibility. Together, love and anger just may lead us to a different kind of country, and a different kind of world. One we can take pride in. I'm certain that anger can't do it all on its own. Love, possibly, but it would probably take a lot longer, and I'm not confident we have the time. 

So I remind myself, and I'll remind all of you who are as angry as I am about the state of our country, and who are willing to speak out against corruption and greed and against those who are perpetrating it, that we can't forget to recognize the oceans of love that stir inside our beings. Deep complete oceans of love, filled with compassion and forgiveness and understanding and everything that makes human beings beyond extraordinary. With love and compassion at its core, our anger is especially strong and useful. Without love and compassion, our anger is especially unpredictable and dangerous. 

Besides, who wants to be 100% angry? There's absolutely no fun in that. Occupy Wall Street has gotten the attention of corporations, of our government, and of people all over the world. They united under an angry resistance to the injustices spit at the people of this country by Wall Street and the government. Their anger got America's attention. Their peaceful approach has earned the world's respect. And the movement's continued commitment to peace and inclusion and fairness will propel it farther than perhaps anyone could have dreamed. Of course, with each passing day, I'm dreaming much bigger. 

Ibn 'Arabi, the great Sufi mystic, once said that the movement which is the existence of the universe is the movement of love. I love this quote and believe it wholeheartedly. But right now, in this moment, in this country, and in our world, I'd like to change it up a little. I think that the movement which is the existence of change in our universe is the movement of love, and anger. 

Personally, I know that sometimes I feel so in love and so angry that I could change the whole world. And it seems I'm not alone. Thousands upon thousands of people are seizing their anger, and energizing their compassion, and channeling their love, and effecting real change. And that makes me far more excited than even an oversized plateful of peanut butter and chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment